Thursday, August 11, 2011

Shots of Jame-O: August, 11, 2011

I have been talking about starting a blog for a while now and finally decided to do it. Most of the posts will be about two things I love - sports and TV.  This first post will be a regular feature, "Shots of Jame-O," where I write a couple quick thoughts (shots) about what's on my (Jame-O) mind. Here goes...

Are the Detroit Lions getting too much hype?

As most people who know me are aware, I'm a Detroit Lions fan. Yes, the same Detroit Lions that went 0-16 in 2008 and haven't made the playoffs since 1999. For the better part of a decade - and to borrow a line from my favorite movie - I have gotten used to disappointment. Sure I get excited during the summer every year thinking that maybe this is the year the Lions get back to .500. But deep down, I know it won't happen. This way, when the calendar flips to December and the Lions are 2-8, I'm already checking NBA and NHL box scores to see how the Pistons and Red Wings are doing and I'm fine with that - it's become routine. Fast-forward to the summer of 2011 and something strange is happening; the Lions are all of the sudden the "sleeper" team. Guys like Sports Illustrated's Peter King and ESPN's Chris Mortensen are tweeting that the Lions may just be a wild card team this year. They seem to forget that every summer some young team with exciting "name" players becomes the sleeper team. And every year, that team disappoints once the games start. So with all due respect to these great NFL minds, please leave the Lions alone. Talk about the Eagles hoarding players or how this might finally be the year the Texans overtake the Colts in the AFC South.  Just stop hyping the Lions because when they go 8-8 or 9-7 and barely miss the playoffs, I don't want to be disappointed.  I've already gotten used to that result.

"The Shield" is the most underrated TV drama:

Last night I finished up a full series (7 seasons) re-watch of FX's "The Shield" - created by Shawn Ryan. Since it was on FX, "The Shield" didn't get as much hype as other noteworthy TV dramas, like "The Sopranos." And you know what, that's ok because it might be even better. Sure it's easier for me to say that now, having just finished the series finale - the greatest TV drama series finale I have ever seen. But I'm saying it. "The Shield" easily makes my top 10 TV dramas of the past 15 years (my tv watching prime). If you haven't seen it and like cop dramas with unbelievable performances headlined by a charmingly corrupt, shockingly effective leading man, let me know and I'll happily lend you season 1.

Rounding out the rest of my top 10, in no particular order: "The Wire", "The Sopranos", "Breaking Bad", "Mad Men", "24", "The West Wing", "Dexter", "Lost", "Friday Night Lights" and "Deadwood". Ok - that's 11.

I love Tiger Woods:

Tiger Woods is my favorite athlete.  I like watching him play golf as much if not more than I like watching any of my favorite professional sports teams (all from Detroit - so maybe that is why). He is playing in the PGA championship this weekend, his first major since The Masters. I don't think he will win (though that may be a reverse jinx), but I do think he finishes in the top 10 and wins 1-2 of the FedEx Cup playoff events. Get ready for "He's Baaaaack" headlines. 2 majors next year and he passes Jack by his 40th birthday (he turns 36 in December).

What's Alan Watching? and Grantland:

Since most of what I will blog about are TV shows and sports, I thought I'd link to my favorite sites/blogs in both genres. "What's Alan Watching?" is a blog written by Alan Sepinwall of hitfix.com (@sepinwall). Alan is primarily known (at least by me) for his episode-by-episode reviews of TV shows. His reviews are in depth and thoughtful, and much more than just a recap of the episode. He watches a wide variety of shows and his tastes are in line with mine. So if you like the shows I mentioned above, and comedies like "Parks and Recreation", "Community", "The Office" and "Curb Your Enthusiasm", then check him out - hitfix.com/whatsalanwatching.

Grantland.com is a site created by ESPN's Bill Simmons ("The Sports Guy", @sportsguy33) and others. Simmons is famous so I don't need to hype him here. But his other writers and contributors are great. The site is dedicated to sports and pop culture and covers a very wide range of topics. Highly recommended if you like Simmons or just like variety when it comes to sports - www.grantland.com.

Twitter is where it's at:

If you like sports news, have a smart phone and don't have twitter yet, you are missing out. Instant news and analysis before you can get it anywhere else. Facebook is great for pictures and keeping in touch with friends (aka stalking). But twitter is a must for information junkies. Find me at @djameson87.

No comments:

Post a Comment