Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Shots of Jame-O: Back At It

Let's just jump right back in and pretend that it hasn't been over 9 months since my last blog post....

PGA Tour / Rory / Tiger:

So, this Rory McIlroy guy is pretty good, huh?  In case you've been living under a rock for the past month, or just don't give a crap about golf, Rory McIlroy has now won 3 straight golf tournaments, 2 of which were majors (The British Open and the PGA Championship) and the other was a World Golf Championship, which is one of the top 5-10 tournaments of the year.  That gives Rory 4 "majors" as he became the 3rd youngest golfer in the modern era to win 4 - behind only Tiger Woods and Jack Nicklaus. 

If you turn on Sportscenter this week, or go to any sports website, you're likely to see an article/column titled "The Rory Era" or "Golf's New Era".  This, of course, is referring to the fact that the golf torch has been passed from Tiger Woods to Rory McIlroy.  While I certainly cannot argue that Rory is the most dominant golfer in the World right now, by all calculations better than Tiger Woods, I can argue against the proposition that this "Rory Era" is going to be a rehash of Tiger's 2000-2008.  First of all, I just don't think Rory is as dominant or as good as an in-his-prime Tiger.  Yes, I am a huge Tiger fan and would have trouble admitting ANYONE will EVER be as good as him.  I can see Rory winning an average of 1 major a year for the next 3-4 years, and then basically becoming Phil, where he wins one every couple years.  I'll say Rory gets to 11 majors and will be considered the 3rd best golfer of all time.  However, the main reason I don't think we are in a "Rory Era" is that Rory isn't nearly as polarizing as Tiger.  As good and dominant as he has been the past month, do you really think any other golfers are intimidated by Rory?  You don't see Rory draining a birdie putt, getting the crowds to erupt and then playing off that crowd energy the way that Tiger used to (and hopefully will again).  Rory's calm demeanor may serve him well, and may help him avoid some of the pitfalls that have plagued Tiger recently, but I just can't see Rory ruling golf the way that Tiger has since the late 90s.

Case in point:  that obnoxious Omega commercial that was played somewhere between 100 and 15,000 times during TV coverage this weekend.   Did anyone watch that commercial and think "wow, this guy is cool/awesome/badass?"  No.  You all thought he was a dork.  And sorry, but dorks aren't polarizing figures in sports.   

NFL / Fantasy Football:

It seems like I always come back to blogging around the NFL / fantasy football season.  And then quickly disappear again once the season gets going.  Well, rest assured, that is likely to happen again.  That said, I plan to do my annual "Bold Predictions" post sometime in the next week or two, where I make a fantasy prediction for each of the 32 NFL teams. 

I made my first fantasy football trade this weekend in a league where we keep 5 players every year with no restrictions on the keepers.  I gave up a lot - Andre Ellington, Keenan Allen and Victor Cruz and only got back Julio Jones and a 2nd round pick.  But the reason I made the trade was that without it, I would have had to drop Cruz and Allen (or Andre Johnson), so for me, this trade was basically Andre Ellington and Keenan Allen for Julio Jones, Andre Johnson and a 2nd round pick.  Sort of a no brainer for me.  I'll now be keeping Matt Stafford (we get 6pts for passing TDs so QBs are important), DeMarco Murray, Le'Veon Bell, Julio Jones and Andre Johnson.  Lots of upside.  I'm really high on Julio Jones this year, as you'll see in my Bold Predictions post.

As for the NFL in general, I think this is a make or break year for the Detroit Lions.  I'm not saying they have to win the Super Bowl, or even make the playoffs.  But they do have to win 9+ games and in the half dozen or so games that they lose, they need to be outplayed instead of making mistakes that cost them games.  It's also put up or shut up time for Matt Stafford.  He now has even more offensive weapons to utilize, and the Lions brought in as many QB friendly coaches as they could find.  I'm hoping for a surprise NFC North title, but I'll settle for a wildcard. 

Other Notes:

I got married this summer - as anyone who actually reads this probably already knows.  My wife, Kait and I have been watching (or rewatching for me) The Sopranos from the start.  Man, I forgot how awesome that show is in the early seasons!  One of my favorite things is watching a great show with someone who has never seen it.

I also have a new job, or jobs, working for a law firm and a property management company.  So if you need legal services, or live in a community that is part of a homeowners association or condo association and are unhappy with the management of that association, hit me up!

The plan, as always, is to keep up with the blog.  That said, see you in 2015!

No comments:

Post a Comment